Our History

A BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH

Evangelical Free Church – Radford was originally founded in 1930-31 as a result of the revival campaigns in Nottingham by the Welsh Pentecostal evangelist George Jeffreys. At that time, crowds of up to 2,000 people gathered in the City Temple in Halifax Place in the Nottingham Lace Market to hear the ‘foursquare’ gospel preached by Jeffreys which included prayer for physical healing. Following these early meetings, the Nottingham congregation of the Elim Pentecostal Church was formed and continued to meet at the City Temple.

In 1940 George Jeffreys left the Elim Pentecostal Church (which he had founded in 1915) and established the Bible-Pattern Church Fellowship (B-PCF) of churches based on a congregational form of local church government. The Nottingham Elim congregation followed Jeffreys and became the first member church of this new Fellowship and re-named itself the Evangelical Free Church (EFC). In 1946-7 EFC relocated and bought the present building in Radford from the Methodist Church. In 1979 EFC became re-affiliated with the Elim Pentecostal Church, but retained its own independent church government. 

In the last 30 years EFC has developed to become a local church that is increasingly 'international' in make-up, that reflects the demographic changes in the surrounding community. Recently we have been privileged to include local residents or students within our church community from Jamaica, Barbados, Guatemala, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, S Korea, Romania, Bulgaria, as well as a core of UK folks!